Friday 19 November 2010

Freezing!

Yes..so..when it's cold outside we stay inside. No. Not in Lapland! When its freezing, you freeze. Not you but sculptures!

~The lake~

As part of the Time Space Place workshop we decided to make sculptures from freezing material by using water from our natural enviroment a.k.a the frozen lake. Our topic was "tracks" and we decided to create forms of animals found in the north!


~getting started~

First we had to create wooden forms and then cover them with soaking wet material! Waterproof gloves would have been a good idea..

~almost there!~


As we worked as a group we were able to get the job done pretty quickly! I also think that the thought of getting inside to the warmth sped up the process!




~Reindeer and fox~



So after spending the whole day outside, I thought I might turn into a block of ice myself!



~got ice..~


Erasmus has been full of quotes and the sentence of today was made by my teacher. While trying to move a massive piece of ice he told us "You can dance with it if it is not so wet" as he continued to twirl around on the frozen lake humming a song to himself!



~Tada!~


The job was finally done before the sun set and although they were not masterpieces, after not being able to feel my fingers or toes after 10minutes in, I can happily say I was proud of our work!






Patience and persistence. Never underestimate the power of layers!


No comments:

Post a Comment